The Wyze Cam V3 is a versatile and performing security camera that will keep your home and your family safe. With advanced AI-powered features, the camera can detect people, vehicles, packages, and more. The Wyze app will give you access to recorded events, live videos, push notifications, and more.
Does the Wyze Cam V3 need to be plugged in? The answer is yes. You’ll have to plug this camera in via a USB cable to power it. It’s the only way of powering this camera, and not including a battery is something that helps keep the price down.
In the following article, we’ll discuss how to power your Wyze Cam V3 and troubleshoot common issues linked to the camera not getting power. We’ll also discuss alternatives if you’re in the market for a truly wireless security camera.
Here are some of the questions we’ll answer:
- Is the USB cable the only way to power your Wyze Cam V3?
- How do you power a Wyze Cam V3?
- Does Wyze offer any other models that use a battery?
Read on to learn more about the Wyze Cam V3 and how to power it.
Does Wyze Cam V3 Have a Battery?
The Wyze Cam V3 doesn’t come with a battery. It’s a smart security camera that uses a USB cord to get power.
You’ll have to connect one end of the cable to the base of the camera and plug the power adapter in. The cable measures 6’ and comes with a waterproof adapter for outdoor use.
Wyze also offers an outdoor power adapter package that includes a 12.5’ USB cable in case the 6’ cable isn’t long enough for your needs.
There are different ways of mounting the Wyze Camera V3. You can use the magnetic mount to attach the camera to a metallic surface or use screws to secure the wall mount to a vertical surface.
Once you have attached your Wyze Camera V3, you will have to drill a hole into the wall or soffit to run the power cord inside.
How to Power Wyze Cam V3
Getting started with your Wyze Cam V3 is very easy. All you have to do is plug the USB cable to the base of the camera and plug the other end of the power cord into a wall outlet.
If the camera is getting power, you’ll see the indicator turn red to indicate that there is power but that the device is still initializing.
Once you have finished the initial setup process, the indicator should glow blue when the camera has power.
Does the Wyze Cam V3 Need Wi-Fi?
Wyze describes the V3 camera as a wireless camera because it uses Wi-Fi or local recording to a microSD card. Unlike traditional CCTV systems, you don’t need to connect A/V cables to record video.
Connecting your Wyze Cam V3 to your Wi-Fi network is easy. It will also give you access to more features since you’ll be able to open the Wyze app to watch a live stream of what your camera is recording.
If you get a paid subscription with Wyze, you’ll also be able to go back and watch the events your camera recorded among other features.
However, you can use the Wyze Camera V3 without a Wi-Fi connection. If you use the camera offline, it will record video to a local microSD card. You can then remove this memory card from the camera and insert it into a computer to watch the video recording.
Here is how you can connect your Wyze Cam V3 to your Wi-Fi network
Note that this camera only works with 2.4GHz networks.
- Download the Wyze app to a phone or tablet. Make sure this device is using your Wi-Fi network.
- Plug your Wyze camera in and wait for the light to flash red.
- Open the Wyze app and look for the + sign in the top left corner of the homepage.
- Tap the + sign and select the Add device option.
- Look for Wyze Cam V3 and tap Next.
- Press the Setup button underneath the base of your camera. You should hear the camera say Ready to connect.
- The app will ask you to confirm that you have pressed the Setup button. You will then be able to select your Wi-Fi network in the app and enter your Wi-Fi password.
- The app will ask you to use your phone to scan the QR code on your camera. It will then confirm that your camera is online.
Fixing Common Issues Linked to Powering the Wyze Cam V3
The Wyze Cam V3 features an LED status light that can indicate different issues with the camera. If you can’t see the LED indicator, press the Setup button underneath your camera.
If you can’t hear a voice prompt when you press this button, it’s a sign that the camera isn’t getting power.
There are a few steps you can follow to troubleshoot the issue:
- In most cases, power cycling the camera should resolve the problem. Disconnect the USB cable from the camera and unplug the power adapter from the wall outlet. Wait a few seconds and connect the camera again.
- If power cycling doesn’t resolve the issue, try plugging in the camera with a different USB cable.
- If you suspect your camera isn’t getting power, your best option is to contact the Wyze customer support team for a product replacement.
- You can also clear different issues by power cycling the camera if you see the LED indicator flashing red or blue. Unplugging the camera and waiting a few seconds can resolve some problems with connectivity.
Does Wyze Offer a Battery-Powered Camera?
A battery-powered camera can be a convenient option. It’s easier to set up battery-operated wireless cameras since you won’t have to drill any holes to run power cables.
Wyze offers a battery-powered camera with the Wyze Cam Outdoor model. It costs a little more than the Wyze Cam V3, but it comes with two 2,600 mAh batteries that should last three to six months if the camera records between 10 and 20 events a day.
While the V3 model gives you the possibility of choosing between continuous recording and event-based recording, the Outdoor model supports a scheduled recording mode that gives you the possibility of activating continuous recording for a limited period to avoid depleting the battery too fast.
You can save your footage to the cloud or use a local microSD card. The Outdoor camera supports features like motion detection, two-way audio, live stream, and notifications that are similar to what you’ll get with the Wyze Cam V3.
The main downside of the Wyze Cam Outdoor is that you have to take the camera down once in a while to charge it. Charging can take up to four hours, which means your camera won’t record anything for a while.
What Is the Wyze Solar Panel?
Wyze offers solar panels with an output of 2.5 Watts. These solar panels are an interesting addition if you’re building a home security system with the Wyze Cam Outdoor model.
You can connect a solar panel to a Wyze Cam Outdoor to extend the battery life. This device will turn sunlight into electricity and use it to recharge the battery of the Outdoor camera. It’s a good option if you use the scheduled recording mode for long periods.
Unfortunately, the output of the Wyze solar panels isn’t sufficient to power other models like the V3 camera. If you want to power some V3 cameras without running power cables inside your home, your best option is to invest in a generator powered by solar panels.