An average solar panel is about 50% less efficient when dirty. This is because dirt absorbs some of the energy trying to reach the panel. Still, any debris can decrease the output of your solar panels.
Cleaning your solar panel increases its efficiency, and that way, you can take full advantage of your panels.
That being said, here are some of the key points we’ll be looking at:
- How To clean your solar panels.
- Benefits of cleaning your solar panel.
- Whether Wet and Forget is good for your solar panel.
For this and more information on Solar panels, read on to the end of this article!
Can you use wet and forget on solar panels?
Yes, wet and forget can be used on solar panels to prevent the panel from getting dirty and reduce or stop algae growth.
The main ingredients in wet and forget are as follows: Propylene glycol (1%), sodium laurel sulfate (0.5%), ammonium Laureth sulfate (4%).
There is also a wet and forget for windows that do not contain the above chemicals. In other words, the wet and forget for windows does not contain sodium laurel sulfate as its main ingredient.
This means that it will not harm or corrode glass if used as directed.
Benefits of using wet and forget
Wet and forget will protect your solar panels from getting dirty by preventing algae growth, bird droppings, dirt, pollen, dust, leaves, and other particles from sticking to them.
If you use wet and forget one rainstorm or even once a month, it will make it easy to clean the solar panel with a hose.
Next, using wet and forget will greatly reduce your time cleaning your solar panels, thus allowing you more time for other activities.
Disadvantages of using wet and forget
There are no disadvantages to using wet and forget on your solar panels:
- Wet and forget is very easy to apply.
- It is an eco-friendly alternative to harsh chemicals.
- It will not rust or damage the solar panel.
- It works instantly with one application.
- It protects against future dirtying of the panels.
- It keeps them clear of algae growth by breaking down the algae cell membranes.
- It is safe to use on any glass, will not break down over time.
- It is cheaper than replacing solar panels.
How Should you apply Wet and Forget to Solar Panels?
To use the product on solar panels:
- Spray a generous amount of product onto a damp cloth first so you can wipe down all surfaces of the solar panels.
- Spray the product onto a solar panel section and use a soft bristle brush to scrub it into the solar panel.
- Take a garden hose with high water pressure and rinse off each panel section before moving on to another section.
- Make sure you do not apply wet and forget in direct sunlight as this could cause the panels to be too hot and damage them.
- After you complete rinsing off all of the wet and forget, shut down your outdoor faucets and let the water drain out of the gutter system.
- Ensure no moisture is left on any part of your solar panels before turning on your exterior lighting or solar receptacles.
Reapply wet and forget on solar panels
You should apply the product once every year or two if the water does not bead up or collect on your solar panels. You can tell that it is time for another application by looking at the condition of the solar panel.
If there is any algae growth, then there might be a need to reapply the product.
Before applying wet and forget on solar panels
You should remove all debris from the solar panel before applying wet and forget. This means leaves, dirt, twigs, bugs, bees nests, and any other material that might be stuck in the solar panel frame.
How much Wet and Forget should you use?
If your solar panels are dirty, then take the following measurements:
- Use a measuring cup to measure 32 ounces of wet and forget.
- Divide this between your four cans, then mix the solution in a tub or bucket of water.
- Once you have mixed them well, dip a sprayer into the tub and spray your solar panels with the solution.
- Make sure that each section of the panel is completely saturated.
- After you are finished spraying the solar panel, use a garden hose to rinse off the wet and forget until all dirt is removed from the panels.
It should only take about 5-10 minutes to apply the product, but make sure you allow enough time for the solution to soak in.
You must wait at least 10 minutes before rinsing off the wet and forget, but you should wait about an hour if the panels are dirty and covered in algae.
The Correct Cleaning Hose
You can use a standard garden hose or even a pressure washer. Just make sure that it is set to low water pressure not to damage the product.
It only takes a few minutes to clean your solar panels off with the wet and forget, so make sure you do not use too high pressure or damage the product.
Precautions With Wet and Forget
Do not use this product on fiberglass, bottom paint of boats, marine topsides, clear stripper finishes, or any other surface sensitive to water spotting or streaking.
You should also wear protective clothing and eyewear when using wet and forget to protect your skin and eyes from getting irritated.
You can also wear a respirator if you have a respiratory condition.
Warranty available for Wet and Forget
Wet and forget offers a one-year money-back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied with the product.
No questions will be asked, but try to contact them as soon as possible if you are not happy.
The price and where can you buy it
There are different types of Wet and Forget. Be sure to get the Moss and Stain Remover. Prices range from thirty dollars upwards and are cheaper with bulk buys.
Get the bulk pack to save money – it’s best to have some in the garage. Click the image to order from Amazon today.
Best time to clean solar panels with wet and forget
You should always try to clean your solar panels once every season, but you must use wet and forget more often if you live in a high humidity region.
This is because you will likely experience algae growth on the surface of the panel.
Steps should you take to care of your solar panels
You can also whiten the panel’s surface with whitewall cleaner, which is available at most major hardware stores.
You must make sure not to use any cleaners that are abrasive or too harsh to be used on the glass.
This will damage your product and could void your warranty, so make sure you follow the directions on the cleaner.
What are the pros and cons of this product?
- Quick and easy to use
- Leaves a streak-free shine
- Some people have experienced problems with the bottle leaking because it is so thin. This may be solved by removing the pump and just using the top of the bottle to pour out into a spray bottle.
- Wet and forget can be difficult to find in stores.
1. To determine which cleaner will work best for your solar panels, consult an expert at the store where you will be purchasing it. They may also have a cleaner that is already premixed and ready to use.
2. You should always perform regular maintenance on your solar panels even if you do not live in a region with high humidity levels, as this will ensure maximum energy efficiency for your system.
3. Wet and forget is not the only option for cleaning solar panels, so be sure to consult an expert before trying anything new.
Reasons to Remove Black Mold From Your Panels
Black mold shelter side effects are severe problems like respiratory infections or asthma attacks. People who were already sick increased their symptoms when in contact with black mold shelter side effects.
Some other major issues include body aches, headaches, dizziness, and fatigue.
People who suffer from any respiratory illness need to be especially cautious around the mold because it will worsen their condition and adversely affect them.
Also, if you have an infant, a young child, or even a pet in your house, you need to be watchful because the mold can cause them great harm.